At the beginning of last week, I was working on the entity relationship diagram as a way to not only reflect relationships between data but to ensure the integrity of data links. The rationale for this was to ensure the links from an event to its citation and ultimately its source where unique and robust, and this simply required a unique incremental number to be generated for each individual’s event (or family) which is passed through to the citation.
The coding of individual citations from events to sources is somewhat complete but in doing so I realise that the rigidness of other genealogy software of assigning a name and gender to a person has crepted into my coding. I do have ancestors in my Ancestry tree who have records reflecting one gender from a census which differ to latter records and checking on Ancestry, they have the ability to add new events for name and gender. That been said, I do maintain one name for each person with “Also Known As” facts when required but I suspect this may change should the need arise.
I believe the removal of this rigidness will simplify my coding of events as well as allowing flexibility when processing GEDCOM files in addition to allowing for fluidity of gender for latter generations.
Update; Allowing for multiple genders and names was quite straight-forward but for simplicity, I am storing one name and gender (latest) against an individual for displaying in lists. I added the NAME and SEX tag within the list of facts and events for filtering of tags to allow for multiple entries.